Tuesday, December 3, 2013

WEIBEL CHESS TEAM INFO PLUS SOME PERSONAL COMMENTS FROM THE THANKSGIVING BREAK

All:
I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving holidays.  I sure did.  It is my favorite holiday.
I wanted to remind you to remind your children that the Chess Magnet School homework for the week of November 16 through the 22 is due this Friday, December 6.  For the Varsity Team members they are to also turn in their game (annotated) that they played on November 15 or one they played in a tournament during the holiday break.

I am happy to say that a lot of our Varsity players did attend tournaments from Los Angeles to the Santa Clara over the break.  I report unhappily that few of our players did extremely well.  A few gained a few points and a few lost a few points.  We had one truly major breakthrough.  Eshaan Mistry destroyed the 1000 barrier and will be receiving his honor roll cap this Friday.  He did not lose a game (drew one of 5) in the California Class Warfare Championship 800 to 999 division winning a clear first.  Even better news—in almost every division where there were Mission San Jose players Weibel students topped them.  Of course, our players don’t show as Weibel because it was a Salman run tournament.  Our players that  competed were mostly listed as Shoreview Chess.  This is our instructor Demetrius Goins' Chess Club.

While I am on the subject of our instructors—IM Ricard De Guzman won the Open division of the California Class Warfare Championship. WARNING—What you are about to read is not for the faint of heart.  Something about the name Class Warfare really bothers me although it shouldn’t surprise me knowing the organizer. This commentary on a Google forum sent to me and attributed to Salman Azhar is a bit frightening:
Salman Azhar apparently posted:

          " India spending weeks debating whether to boycott the
tournament or not, was really much ado about nothing. In retrospect it
seems like quite a waste of time and money to send the cricket team
to Sharjah.

           In any case Indian cricket supporters can now spend there time
much more productively suppressing (and killing) minorities in Kashmir
and Punjab (as originally planned by the Indian government). :-) (https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/soc.culture.pakistan/C1FHucMYFYo)"

I don’t find this kind of vicious class/cultural/national stereotyping funny.  Is it any wonder that he has made such ugly comments to and about our players, parents and team? I apologize to all of you that don’t want me mixing politics in my chess newsletters, but I just got this link and it is eating me up.  The way I ease my own tension, anger and disgust is to write it out. So you are at this point my sounding board.  Sorry!

Back to IM De Guzman and positive news.  While the event ratings have not been posted it looks as if he broke a rating of 2500.  He hasn’t been over 2500 since 2004.  KUDOS!!

A former Weibel student now in seventh grade NM Michael Wang tied for third in that same division.  Another of our instructors NM Hayk Manvelyan tied for fourth in the biggest Open event in the LA area over the holidays, the 49th Annual American Open.  He is now rated 2357

I want to remind the parents of the Varsity players that they must have their children compete in two tournaments with over 90 minute time controls.  I recently suggested the

2nd Annual East Bay Open in Concord coming up this weekend, https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8Yij5LT5mjzejVFUm5aUTUtSkE/preview?pli=1  All reports I have received were that last year the location was good and the event was well run.
--
Chess is Forever!
Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment