Monday, November 18, 2019

WEIBEL CHESS TEAMS DOMINATE CALCHESS GRADE LEVEL CHAMPIONSHIPS

WOW! One of the best chess championships ever for Weibel. CalChess held the State Grade Level Championships at the Santa Clara Convention Center this weekend, November 16 & 17, 2019. We had teams in Grades 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Horner Junior High School had teams in Grades 7, 8. There were nearly 500 players competing on Saturday and Sunday.
Weibel Chess Teams won the Championships in Grades, 1, 2, 4 & 5. We took second in Grades 3 & 6. Horner players won the Grade 8 Championships and took third in Grade 7.
Our players, for the most part, seemed to have a lot of fun.
I will write a full report and present my thanks and kudos to those who made it possible as soon as I get some sleep. I would at this time, though, present my gratitude to the parents of our First Grade students. To attend this event I select the top four students in each grade to invite. I initially did not select any first grade students as they were all new with only one or two small events under their belts. On Wednesday of this week I analyzed the entry list and decided we had a great chance of getting a team trophy in the top three places. I wrote to the parents of most of the first grade students and asked if any could attend despite my late notice. Six parents took up my call. I think they were more excited than I was when their children won first place. The top three finishing players have their points count for the results.







No comments:

Post a Comment